Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Shopping is hell

Word of the day: meas-ure-ment (noun)  Extent, size, etc., ascertained by measuring.

I think the reason I love shopping for shoes and other accessories is because I can generally find them in my size.  Despite my wonky proportions elsewhere, I have been blessed with normal-sized feet; I generally wear a size 8 1/2 or a 9, which I can usually find in shoe stores.  As for earrings and necklaces and bracelets and scarves and the like, even if I don't buy or wear them with regularity, I know they will always fit me. 

I know there are tons of people out there - both female and male - who have difficulty finding clothes in their size when they shop.  It just feels like I'm the only one I know who actually experiences this.  Maybe it's because most of my (female) friends fall in the size 4 - 8 range, so if they go down to a size 2 or up to a size 10, they can be pretty sure clothes in most stores will fit.  Me, I often feel like I should be shopping at Tents'r'Us. 

Remember that episode of The Simpsons, where Homer gets super fat on purpose and starts wearing muumuus?  I feel like I can relate to that more than I really should.

I have recently stumbled upon another blog that is honest about the whole weight/weight loss/being fat/not wanting to be fat thing (her name is Jennifer too!) and she recently posted about women's clothing sizes.  I know that I really shouldn't pay attention to the size on the tag but it can weigh on a person's mind.  Even if something fits me perfectly, just knowing it's a certain size that I'm not happy with is enough to make me hate it and never want to wear it ever again.  Fortunately, I don't buy these things.  Unfortunately, I don't buy these things.  Really, if something fits perfectly, who the hell cares what size it is?  Well, I do. 

I've been exceedingly lazy of late and I've got my gym bag packed and sitting by the door so I'll be back at it tomorrow after work.  I feel incredibly unhealthy and out of shape right now so maybe that is adding to my clothing gloominess.  Life would just be so much easier if I was rich and could have all my clothes tailor-made. 

But since I work in publishing and therefore am not even slightly rich (at least not money-rich) I'll do my cardio and my weights and work towards feeling better about myself and I'll continue to not let my worth be measured by the number on the tag of my pants (shudder) or the number on the scale (SHUDDER).  To be honest though, I've been trying to do this for the better part of 15 years with little sustained success. 

Guess I've got to keep trying, right?  It's a good thing I like tricep dips.

No comments: