Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My intolerable intolerance

Word of the day: in-tol-er-ant (adjective) Unable or unwilling to tolerate or endure.

I think I'm lactose intolerant. 

For as long as I can remember, I've had a disagreeable tummy.  It felt that almost everything I ate would leave me feeling yucky and uncomfortable and desiring drawstring pants.  I just figured I was prone to heartburn or indigestion or something; then, this past Monday, I had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast and felt all gross until around 3pm.  (I'm purposely not going into my specific symptoms because no one really needs to know that.)

Thankfully, the internet is available on computers now, so with the help of the always trustworthy Google, I was able to self-diagnose pretty quickly.  While it's not confirmed, I do hope to figure out if I do have a problem with dairy.  And if I do, while I will miss chocolate, it will be great to finally know why my tummy is so ornery sometimes. 

Yes, I know I can take Lactaid and other such supplements but not being able to eat things like chocolate, cream sauces, mayo, butter, cheese and the like will help me to get in shape so I'll save the supplements for those special times when I must have lasagna or butter chicken. 

Thankfully, amazingly, wonderfully, milk in my coffee doesn't seem to upset me.  Sometimes it's the small things that really help with the big things.

No comments: