Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Resolutions 2.0

Word of the day: re-dux (adjective) Brought back; resurgent.

Today is March 31.  That means that tomorrow is April 1 (I'm so good at the calendar!) and that it's time for me to revisit all those resolutions I made way back when.  Although a lot has changed in the past two months, I see no reason not to make some kind of attempt at these.

Reading is the easy one.  I'll admit, I did enjoy me some genre fiction in the last little while, in the form of Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett (and both were fantastic and everyone should read them) but I did start a more literary book last night.  Elizabeth Kostova wrote The Historian, which is a beautifully-written story about the legend of Dracula (but it's literary, I swear!) and I loved it so I felt her follow-up book, The Swan Thieves, would be a great read too.  So far, it deals less with the supernatural and more with human nature, so I'm calling this a literary win.

Writing, well, if my blogging is any indication, that's a big fail.  But I have until tomorrow to smarten up, so we'll just leave this alone for now.

The running thing is proving a bit more challenging.  I started running and I really enjoyed it...then I got shin splints.  And oh man, did they HURT!  So I took it easy, got fitted for proper running shoes, eased myself back into it and I got three more days of running in (over the course of a week) and...got stupid shin splints again.  So I'm off running again.  I'm stretching and trying not to aggravate them but I do still need to walk, so there has been some ibuprofen in my life lately.  Blargh.  I'm not impressed with my legs right now but as they're the only ones I have, I thought I'd treat them with a little more respect and take care of them.  So running is on hiatus, for now.

Remember the renovating stuff that was really more crafty stuff but I called "renovating" to maintain the alliteration?  Well, now that I'm officially living in sin with the beau I don't really need to make anything over.  That's not to say there won't be crafty moments in my future; they just won't be on the same level as that original resolution.  So it's not a resolution fail as much as it's a resolution negation.  Fair?

And finally, my favourite, relaxing.  Which I suck at.  Seriously.  Case in point: I am halfway through a week off with the beau and by Monday, I didn't know what to do with myself and was actually contemplating heading into work because I was bored.  Seriously.  Thankfully I have a wonderful, rational man in my life who managed to talk some sense into me and I've been having a pretty chill week since then.  I even soaked in the bath yesterday, something I've wanted to do for, oh, about a year or so and just never got around to.  So yeah, this relaxing thing could use some work.  (I just gave myself an excuse to be lazy - huzzah!

March, I bid you adieu and welcome April, armed with resolutions and a new resolve to achieve these damn resolutions!

No comments: