Thursday, January 28, 2010

Resolution #2: Read

Word of the day: lit-er-a-ture (noun) Writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.


I'm an avid reader and I've got a pretty solid start on what will eventually be a pretty great library.  And I love my books.  Love, love, love them.  They're so pretty and interesting and fun and mostly genre fiction.  Not that there's anything wrong with genre fiction (Terry Pratchett!  Reginald Hill!  Jasper Fforde!) but for awhile I've felt that I should read more literary books.  I've got Life of Pi on my shelf; it's been there for five years yet it remains unread.  I've got gobs of Alice Munro but again, haven't read as much as I should.  And to go with Alice Munro, I really want to get into Margaret Atwood.  I haven't read nearly enough of her and I want to be an Atwood fan.  I should also really revisit Edgar Allan Poe.  I mean, I've only got three versions of his works (one's even illustrated!).

So resolution #2: read more literary books.  There will still be genre fiction consumed because there are new mass market paperbacks by Terry Pratchett and Reginald Hill coming out this year and those just have to be bought and read as soon as they are available.  But that likely won't happen to the fall so I've got lots of time to get into some Alice and Margaret and maybe even some Yann.

No comments: