Sunday, July 10, 2011

What worth, a picture?

I hate having my picture taken.  I'm not like some people, though, who won't pose for a photo unless their hair is done and clothes are perfect and the angle is just right.  I don't mind posing for silly, crazy, happy, couple-y or family photos; I just hate the results.

Some people are naturally photogenic.  I am not one of those people.  I practice my smiles in the mirror, I tilt my head one way or look another way and think, "That's not bad.  I need to do that the next time a photo is taken."  And then I do it (or think I've done it) and the photo is AWFUL.  Seriously.  No good at all.

The one thing I'm dreading most about getting married are the wedding photos.  Candid photos there's not much I can do about.  But the professional ones, the ones we'll want to keep forever - those I'm terrified about.  I only plan on getting married once and I really want the pictures to be keepers.  And parents and in-laws will be displaying them...I'm not getting married any time soon, but I've already got anxiety over the photos.

I think I have a problem.

Over the weekend, we were visiting friends in Simcoe with another couple and we took photos all weekend long.  Since I took most of the pictures, I'm not in many, so I asked the Beau if he could snap a few shots of me, as proof I was there. 

None of them are any good.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.  Nyet.  Nien.  Nil.  Zero.  Because he's crazy, he likes this photo:

Me, not so much.  In fact, it's kind of awful.  But I feel like I should stare at it until I can at least tolerate it because I need to stop being so down on myself.  Either that or I need to never be in another photo ever.  (In fact, there is a span of about 6 years in my teens where very few photos of me exist, because I hated how I looked in photos back then.  Oh, what I wouldn't give to look how I did back then...)

It's a thing, that's for sure, one I'm not sure how to get over. 

2 comments:

Tammy said...

He's not crazy - you are! You look amazing in this photo!! Happy and joyful and healthy and gorgeous. LOVE the purple suit.
Be kind to yourself.

Paronomaniac said...

Tammy, you are so sweet - thanks!