Friday, August 21, 2009

Goodnight, sleep tight...

Word of the day: ex-ter-mi-nate (verb) To get rid of by destroying; destroy totally; extirpate.

I have today off, due to summer hours at work. While I should be excited about a three-day weekend, I am currently sitting in my apartment, waiting for the exterminator.

Why an exterminator, you may ask? Because I have bed bugs.

That's right, bed bugs.

I'm not going to say much about them because I have spent the past week feeling angry, frustrated, tired and weepy over them so instead I'm going to focus on the good things that come from having bed bugs.

1. Time to clean stuff out
To have my place fumigated I have to empty my closets and all drawers in my bedroom. I then need to put all my clothes, towels, sheets, curtains, pillows, etc. through a hot wash and dry (if they are dirty) or just a hot dryer (if they are clean). The good part is this will give me the chance to purge all the stuff I don't wear/need/want/care about any more. And it will be nice and bed bug-free when I donate it.

2. A scrubbed-out apartment
Of course, I have to do this. But my apartment is about to get the best cleaning it has had since I moved in. While I do clean it regularly, I'm not one to scrub walls regularly. But the walls will be scrubbed, among other things.

3. Better organization
Since I'm emptying all my closets and drawers, I have to put stuff back in after the fumigation. I've been thinking for awhile now that I need to better organize all my junk and especially throw out the crap I don't need. This is forcing my hand for sure, but it will be good in the long run.

That's about all I've got and, trust me, the cons certainly outweigh the pros. I have to find the positive in this though, else I would be spending a lot more time crying on my boyfriend's shoulder. As it is, I've only done that once this week.

Ooh, the exterminator is here and should be at my apartment soon...hurrah!

No comments: