Sunday, March 4, 2012

What do I really weigh?

When it comes to how much I weigh, it's so easy to be discouraged by the number on the scale and wish it was lower and to believe that I could easily be 120 lb or something like that. I was thinking about this the other day and I started to wonder, what amount of my weight is unchangeable? Sure, I can get thinner thighs or a tauter stomach, but there are bits of me that won't get smaller or lighter, like my skeleton or my organs.

So, I turned to the trusty (well, "trusty") internets to see what I could find out.

I'm currently at 188.8 lb. Of that, here's what's constant:

My skin: about 20 lb
My skeleton: about 14% of my total body weight, or 26.4 lb
My intestines: 7.5 lb (4 lb for the large, 3.5 lb for the small)
My lungs: 5 lb for both
My brain: 3 lb
My heart: 0.6 lb
My blood: about 8% of my total body weight, or 15 lb

Total: 77.5 lb

I don't know how much fat or muscle I have in my body or what that weighs. But I have been able to account for 77.5 lb of my weight. That leaves 111.3 lb of fat, muscle, other organs, things like that. Looking at 111.3 lb, that number doesn't seem so bad, especially when I know I'm going to keep losing weight. But it's nice to know that there's around 77.5 lb on me that are just part of me. 

No comments: