Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Refreshed!

I had a wonderful sleep last night! Even though I didn't get home from work until midnight (it was a long-ass day) I was fortunate enough to be able to sleep in this morning until 10:30 (my start time at work today was noon). 10 1/2 hours of sleep a night is definitely NOT my norm but it was desperately needed and I feel so good today! I think the beautiful spring weather also helps.

I talked yesterday about the effect lack of sleep can have on weight management and today I really feel like the poster child for that. Yesterday I was sluggish, bloated, hungry all the time and craving junk food, and I always felt in need of more coffee. Today no more bloat, I'm alert and energetic, I want to eat good food and I feel satisfied after eating it, I've had one coffee and feel like that should be enough (though if today is a long day I might need a pick-me-up!) and I'm just all-around in a better head space.

I know sleep is important; I'm one of those people who gets super grumpy when she's tired. But sometimes I like to think that I don't really need that much, that I can function just fine on a few hours a night here and there, if need be. Maybe that's my way of mentally preparing myself for motherhood. After yesterday and my sleep last night, though, I'm much more aware of how important it is for me to get the sleep my body needs. And those around me will be thankful too!

No comments: