Friday, May 13, 2011

If the shirt fits...

When I go shopping, I hate trying things on.  I think this stems from two things: my dislike of looking at myself in the mirror and the fact that most stores don't carry my size or have clothes that fit me well.

I always found it discouraging when stuff wouldn't fit or fit properly, so I just stopped trying things on.  If I saw something I liked, I'd guess at my size, take it home to try on in private and, when it inevitably didn't fit, return it.  (Although sometimes I'd hang on to that pair of pants or skirt that was just a bit too small and plan to lose weight to fit into it.  That never worked out.)

It wasn't until I started shopping with the Beau that I really started trying things on.  The reason?  Most of the places we'd go shopping we had to drive to, so it wouldn't be easy for me to return things if they didn't work out.  I know, a terrible reason to try clothes on, but there you go.

Now when the Beau and I shop together, I always try things on, which is good, but I still haven't been able to shake my "guess-and-grab" method of shopping.  Why do I bring this up?  Today I'm wearing a top and cardigan that I've received multiple compliments on...and both I just picked up off the rack and bought.  So sometimes it does work out.

Also, the top is from H&M while the cardigan is from Old Navy - two stores that don't have consistent sizing practices, at least when it comes to me fitting into clothes. 

The moral of this rambling, rather pointless story?  I know I should try clothes on but I'm still getting there in terms of accepting my size and being willing to look at myself.  But we're going shopping again this weekend and I've slimmed out a bit since our last winter shop, so maybe this will be the turning point and I'll try clothes on, not just out of necessity but out of desire as well.

No comments: