Saturday, June 15, 2013

RUNNING!

Last night proved to be another wonderful night for a run. Though there was a point when I almost poured myself a glass of wine but I was strong and went running first - and it was SO WORTH IT.

Last night's run was run one of week seven of the Couch to 5K program and the furthest I've made it yet with the program (last time I did it I topped out at week six). I was a little worried about the run because it was the second long run of the program - 22 whole, continuous minutes. Even though I was scared and worried that I wouldn't be able to do it, I made myself go out. The result?

I DID IT! I RAN FOR 22 WHOLE STRAIGHT MINUTES!

There was even a point where I think I was hitting the beginning of the mythical runner's high, where I felt I could go forever. This was tempered rather quickly, though, by the feeling that I was going to die but then the magical, mechanical voice in my app said "One minute left" (sweeter words I've never heard!) and I pushed through and made it. And it was awesome.

So far I'm only worrying about time spent running, not distance. I know I have to eventually focus on distance but I'm more interested in getting my endurance up. When I ran on the treadmill I was at a 7-minute-kilometre pace. If I'm doing about that outside (and I honestly don't know what my speed is) then last night's run would have put me at 3 km, or 60% of where I need to be for a 5K. (Did I mention I've registered for a 5K? No? Well, I may or may not be doing a 5K that may or may not be in September. Heh.) Of course, throwing out the 60% number takes away a bit from the 22-minute number, but I'm not discouraged by it. I've got lots of time before September, so lots of time to keep building my endurance.

I've gotta say, I was beginning to think that I'd never really be a "runner" of any kind but since I've started running outside it's been so much better. I think I just might be able to do this.

Evening run, FTW.

No comments: