Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Real, perfect weddings - like mine, right?!

My cousin's sister-in-law recently got married and the photos have been shared over Facebook. And let me just say - the photos are amazing! The wedding was incredibly beautiful with many well-thought-out details and a lovely vintage theme. In fact, you can see some if for yourself right here!

With my own wedding fast approaching (150 days to go!) I find I both love and loathe looking at other weddings, especially real weddings.

I was never one of those girls who has had her dream wedding planned since she was a child, nor did I have a clear idea of how things just had to be once I got engaged. Because our guest list is at 180, the biggest factor when we started planning was finding the right place at the right cost to comfortably accommodate our guests. And it's all worked out just fine and I love the venues we've picked but that doesn't stop me from feeling both envious and doubtful when I see other weddings.

Of course, each couple is different and will want different things in their wedding (another cousin of mine is getting married in Mexico next February because that works for them) but that doesn't make me stop second-guessing our decisions.

It's not like it's some kind of competition - even though those things exist - or that people are going to leave my wedding and say, "Well, it would have been better if they'd done what [insert other couple here] had done." And really it's not about the wedding but about the marriage, about making it official and legal and then celebrating the awesomeness of it.

As a bride-to-be I've spent hours on Martha Stewart Weddings and other sites for ideas but I know those photos and ideas are staged to look as perfect as possible, so I take the inspiration but not the exact execution. But real weddings - man, they're always so perfect that I instantly start to worry that mine won't be. And that's what it comes down to, right? Not just the desire for a perfect wedding but the desire for everyone else to thing it's perfect.

All brides-to-be go through this, right? Right?!

(Our wedding will be perfect. I know that. Honestly, I do!)

No comments: