Monday, November 14, 2011

Off the hooch

I've decided to stop drinking.  I've done this in the past and enjoyed it when I was on the wagon and I want to do it again.

Why?, you may ask.

In the past, when I've taken a booze break, some people have viewed my decision as a tacit condemnation of their own drinking habits and insisted on me having even just one.  And that's not it at all.  There are three reasons why I'm doing this:

1.  Drinking doesn't make me have more fun 
In fact, the more I drink in one sitting the less likely I am to remember any fun I've had.  I'd much rather be able to recall a deep/hilarious/thoughtful conversation than say, "I was so drunk last night I don't remember a thing!"

2.  I feel like crap the day after and I lose that day
My hours are pretty intense so my weekends mean a lot to me.  When I tie one on, I'm on the couch the next day and pretty much out of commission.  While there's nothing wrong with a day on the couch, I'd rather it be by choice, not necessity.

3.  All those extra calories
Alcohol has calories, which is bad, but the post-drinking hangover food also kills my diet ambitions.  Yesterday I ate eggs with mushroom gravy, a panzerotto, chicken pieces, party mix and Miss Vickie's chips.  Not a stellar diet by any stretch.

Now, you may be noticing that as I talk about my drinking habits I'm pretty much an all-or-nothing girl.  And it's not that I can't stop after one drink.  It's that when I'm in a situation where there are drinks it's the kind of situation where no one stops after one.  So here's where I add a caveat: I will still have a glass of wine with dinner or at a celebration.  But just one.  And only on special occasions.  And, let's face it, we're on the cusp of the season of special occasions.  There will be family dinners, friends' birthdays, New Year's Eve - and I will have a drink to mark these festivities and that's it.

I don't judge other when they imbibe for a night and I won't become judgmental just because I'm not joining in.  But for the reasons listed above, it's the right thing for me to do now.  And I'll toast to that.


No comments: