Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The glass is 1/3 full

twen-ty-eight: (noun) a cardinal number, 20 plus 8.

I'm twenty-eight tomorrow. 28. 20 + 8. 2-8. If I live to 84, tomorrow at 9:39 a.m. I will have lived exactly 1/3 of my life.

28 is not a milestone age by any means. It's not 16 or 19 or 21 or 30 or 40 or 50.... But it's still full of introspection and ponderings. Now that I've pegged it as a third of my life, it makes me think of what I've done and really, all that's happened is school. In 28 years, 18 of those were spent in school. All in all, not a shabby accomplishment for the first part of my life. Makes it kind of exciting to think what the next third of my life will bring.

Of course, like any late-twenty-something female, I can't help but compare myself to everyone else my age and wonder if I had made a couple different decisions, maybe I'd have the husband and kids and two-car garage...so maybe I don't have as much money or the sparkly engagement ring or the big house or even the slick condo like so many others but I think I'm doing all right.

And I think I'm ready for the next 28 years, even the next 56 years. Yay birthdays!

No comments: