Tuesday, September 25, 2012

New ways to measure progress

My allergies are still pretty bad so running is on the back burner indefinitely. The good news is that I'm over my initial funk and I'm planning to lace up my sneakers again as soon as my lungs allow.

Until then, I've decided to find new ways to measure progress. If I can't count distance or running time, I'll measure something else, dammit!

So what am I going to measure?

Firstly, push-ups. I can do 15 of them - just not in a row. But when I do three sets of weights, I do five push-ups at the end of each set and my arms are dying when I'm done but it's worth it. I want to be able to do 10 push-ups in one go, 15 after that and then...the sky's the limit!

(But first 10. Let's not get carried away or anything.)

Secondly, planks. I want to be able to hold one for one full minute. I tend to max out at 30 seconds, but it's me counting 30 seconds, which I'm sure is a bit of a cheat. I'll have to get the Beau to time me or at least get real clock to measure. But one minute for a plank is where it's at.

And thirdly, sleep. (Bet you didn't see THAT coming!) I want to start making sure I get enough sleep each night and that I'm properly rested. Getting enough sleep is important not just for weight loss but for happy living in general - because I'm a grump when I'm tired. My job makes a regular waking schedule hard but I'm starting to wake up around 8:30 most mornings on my own, which is when I need to get up for work anyways so that's good. I just need to be diligent about going to bed at the same time each night (as much as possible) and actually relaxing myself enough to sleep through the night.

I'm still going to weigh in, of course, and hopefully the scale keeps going down. And when I start running again I'm going to focus on time and distance and get up to regular 3km runs. It will be interesting to see what I can achieve first!

No comments: