Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I like sentences. Full stop.

punc-tu-a-tion: (noun) the practice or system of using certain conventional marks or characters in writing or printing in order to separate elements and make the meaning clear, as in ending a sentence or separating clauses.

I was once told that it took 30 days to form a habit. My plan, then, was to post every day in September and hopefully form a (better) blogging habit. Alas, here it is the 9th of the month and I'm on my, what is it?, 2nd post. But really, what can you do?

I am going to start posting more, particularly about hockey, as it is about to start soon. JOY. But before I can do that, I must go read Doctor Sax by Jack Kerouac. It's for my book club. Book club is this Saturday. I'm only 50 pages into the 250-something-page book so I told myself I would read 50 pages a night, Monday through Friday, until I was done. I still have to do my 50 pages tonight and it's 10:45 pm. It's not that I don't want to read. I like reading. It's just that I really like reading books that have proper sentences and periods and commas and thoughts that start and finish within a few lines of each other. I like structure. I'm a structure girl. A complete, full-stop sentence is a beautiful thing. A properly-used comma can give me shivers. And a well-placed semi-colon...pure bliss.

But this run-on nonsense? Almost enough to turn me into a mathematician. See, it's all about structure.

No comments: